DIRECTOR OF FINANCE
(Competition No. CO-11-2017-ACCOUNTANT)
The Westwind School Division #74 invites applications for the position of Director of Finance to commence as soon as possible. The successful candidate will report to the Secretary Treasurer and will work closely with the members of the Central Office Administration.
Primary responsibilities will include administering and preparation of the budget and financial statement documents.
General responsibilities include:
• Prepare annual division budget as directed by the Superintendent of Schools and the Secretary Treasurer.
• Assure the preparation and maintenance of accurate business and financial records including the timely submission of provincial and divisional reports to the Secretary Treasurer, Alberta Education, Alberta Infrastructure and other agencies as required.
• Monitor, review and ensure compliance with all laws and regulations related to school finance and other business functions.
• Coordinate and manage all matters related to the external auditing of all fiscal aspect of programs and schools in the division including the development of the divisional financial statements.
• Conduct internal auditing examination of all fiscal aspects of programs and schools including school generated funds.
• Administer trust and scholarship funds and any associated reporting requirements.
• Oversee Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll, journal entries.
• Applications to Alberta Education, Alberta Infrastructure, and other agencies for all funding related to instruction, transportation, plant operations and maintenance, administration and facilities.
• Work annually with external auditors.
Preference will be given to candidates who have:
• A recognized professional accounting designation (CGA, CA, CMA) or a combination of related training and experience.
• Several years of effective experience in school business administration, corporate, governmental or private sector experience.
• Proficiency in the use of computerized accounting and other relevant computer systems.
• Strong interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to establish and maintain effective relationships.
• Exemplary communication skills and a demonstrated ability to write and verbally present clear and concise financial and related reports.
To ensure consideration, applications including a cover letter, resume, and three written references, must be submitted no later than Noon November 17, 2017
Mr. Ken Sommerfeldt, Superintendent of Schools
Box 10, 445 Main Street
Cardston, AB T0K 0K0
Phone: (403) 653-4991 Fax: (403) 653-4641
Or email to:
All applications received by the deadline will be considered, However, only short-listed candidates will be notified